Principal Investigators: Mona N. Fouad, MD, MPH – University of Alabama at Birmingham, USA; Seddik Abdel-Salam Tawfik, MD – Alexandria University, Egypt
- Co-Principal Investigators: Edward Partridge, MD – University of Alabama at Birmingham, USA; Tamer Refaat, MD, MSc – Alexandria University, Egypt
- Co-Investigators: Isabel Scarinci, PhD, MPH – University of Alabama at Birmingham, USA; Wendy Demark-Wahnefried, PhD, RD – University of Alabama at Birmingham, USA; Waleed O. Arafat, MD, PhD, MS – Alexandria University, Egypt; Noha Selim Ibrahim Elshaer, MS – Alexandria University, Egypt
Project Period: 8/1/2011–9/30/2012, extended until 3/31/2014
Sponsor: U.S.-Egypt Joint Board on Scientific and Technological Cooperation
The objective of this planning and development grant was to establish a collaboration between the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) and the University of Alexandria Faculty of Medicine (UAFM), with the ultimate goal of developing research infrastructure and building capacity at the UAFM to enable the conduct of independent medical research across the translational research continuum. The planning phase focused on cancer research and risk factors. Specifically, the following aims were accomplished:
- Assessed strengths and weaknesses in research infrastructure, identified needs and assets;
- Formed research task groups for each phase of the translational paradigm: Basic Science (T1), Clinical Research (T2), Behavioral and Community-Based Research (T3), Outcomes Research (T4);
- Developed an action plan for capacity transfer and collaborative research and training.
- Identified collaborative research and training opportunities and initiated research training of UAFM Faculty through a workshop in Alexandria, Egypt in 2015.
The successful completion of the project objectives facilitated the funding of the follow-up project, TRANSDISCIPLINARY COLLABORATIVE CENTER (TCC) FOR COLORECTAL CANCER RESEARCH, funded by the National Academy of Sciences.