2017 ABSTRACT SUBMISSION
We invite our scientists, junior faculty, resident trainees, postdoctoral fellows, graduate students, and CaRES interns to submit an abstract of their original cancer research for presentation as a poster at this year’s Research Retreat.
Abstract Submission Opens: 8:00 am – Monday, August 21, 2017
Abstract Submission Deadline: 5:00 pm – Friday, September 29, 2017 (no exceptions)
PREPARATION OF ABSTRACTS
- Abstract to be emailed to Dr. Susan Ruppert (firstname.lastname@example.org) by the presenting author.
- Only one abstract is allowed per presenting author, but the presenting author may be a co-author on another abstract.
- Abstracts should summarize the proposed content of the material to be presented as a poster.
- Include title of abstract, name and degree of all authors (bold and underline the name of the presenting author), and institutional affiliation (author name should be preceded by a superscript number corresponding to their home institution).
- Font should be Arial 11 point. Text should be single spaced.
- The Abstract should fit in the box below and follow the formatting shown in the example EXACTLY. Please download the template here.
Abstracts accepted for poster presentation will be reprinted for distribution in the Retreat Abstract Book. Authors should consider whether sensitive or unpublished findings are appropriate for such distribution.
ABSTRACTS THAT ARE NOT FORMATTED EXACTLY AS IN THE EXAMPLE ABOVE, WILL BE REJECTED
ABSTRACTS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED AFTER THE DEADLINE
ABSTRACT SUBMISSION CATEGORIES
Abstracts should be submitted by email to Dr. Susan Ruppert for presentation as a poster in one of the following categories:
John R. Durant Awards for Excellence in Cancer Research
- Junior Investigator Award – This award is for Assistant Professors, Instructors and Non-Faculty Researchers with 6 or more years of research experience after their terminal degree (MD, PhD) (Scientist IV and Scientist III) who are engaged in cancer research. First, second, and third place cash prizes will be awarded.
- Resident Trainee/Postdoctoral Fellow Award – Designed for individuals with a PhD or MD degree who have less than 6 years of research after their terminal degree. This category includes postdoctoral fellows, non-faculty researchers (Scientist I and II), resident trainees and fellows. First, second, and third place cash prizes will be awarded.
- Graduate Student Award – Designed for students holding an undergraduate degree, who are pursuing an advanced academic degree (masters or doctoral level). First, second, and third place cash prizes will be awarded.
William C. Bailey Award for Excellence in Cancer Prevention and Control Research
- Open to researchers of any rank engaged exclusively in cancer prevention and control research. One first place cash prize and two (non-cash) honorable mention awards will be presented.
Tandra Chaudhuri Award for Excellence in Cancer Research
- Designed for Resident Trainees/Postdoctoral Fellows – individuals with a doctoral degree who are engaged in a temporary period of mentored scientific research/training. One first place cash prize will be awarded. Postdoctoral Fellows must be enrolled through the UAB Office of Postdoctoral Education.
Seng-jaw Soong Award for Excellence in Biostatistics and Bioinformatics Research
- Open to researchers of any rank engaged exclusively in cancer-related biostatistics and/or bioinformatics research. One first place cash prize will be awarded.
Cancer Research Experiences for Students in the CaRES Program
- Designed exclusively for student participants of the CaRES summer internship program. One first place award will be presented and includes funding for attendance at a professional meeting.
Cancer Research – Open Category
- Open to cancer researchers of any rank, the Open Category offers the opportunity for researchers to display a poster and discuss their research with other meeting participants. No award is provided at this time.
Abstract to be emailed to Dr. Susan Ruppert (email@example.com) by the presenting author. Your email should contain the following information:
- Email Subject Line: Abstract Submission
- In the body of the email, provide the following:
- Abstract submission category (e.g Durant Award – Graduate Student).
Please select your category based upon the nature of your research, your educational qualifications and your position/job title. Once selected, you may not change your submission category.
- Your position or job title (e.g. Graduate Student)
- Your full name and degree (e.g. Robert L. Smith, BS)
- Institution and Department (e.g. UAB, Department of Microbiology)
- Phone number and email address (e.g.205-999-9999 / firstname.lastname@example.org)
- If you are a trainee, provide the name of your mentor ( e.g.Joseph Green, MD, PhD)
- Attach your abstract (.doc or .docx format) to this email (Abstract.Robert L. Smith, BS.docx)
- Maximum size is 48” tall by 48” wide.
- Oversized posters cannot be accommodated. Your poster cannot overlap neighboring posters. You will be required to fold or trim your poster if it is oversize.
- Poster title must match title of abstract.
Poster Setup. After checking in at the Registration Desk, find your poster display location by matching your assigned poster number to the corresponding category number displayed in the upper corner of the posterboards. Posters must be on display by 9:00 am. Remember to bring tack pins!
On meeting day, your poster must be on display in the assigned number location by 9:00 am. Poster presenters must register to attend the meeting and, if entered in an award category, must be available at their posters during the designated poster sessions for review by the judges.
Review of your poster by the judges is based on:
- Scientific merit
- Presentation and communication skills
- Presenter understanding and participation in the project
Posters participating in an award category are evaluated and scored onsite by the judges during the morning and afternoon poster sessions. Judging closes at the end of the last poster session and statisticians tally the assigned scores and rank the posters. Winners for each award category are announced during the award presentations held at the end of the meeting – see agenda for time.